2016 PWP Writing Contest
2016 Professional Writers of Prescott Writing Contest
FICTION, NONFICTION and POETRY RULES
Note: Download complete contest rules and entry form HERE
PRIZES: Prizes in each category will be awarded: First Place ($100), Second Place ($75) and Third Place ($50). The names of all winners will be published in the PWP Bulletin and on the PWP website, as well in general publicity and media. Winners will also be invited to read their entries at the September 28th PWP meeting at the Prescott Valley, AZ Public Library.
FEES (per entry):
Member Fee: $10
Non-Member Fee: $20
Critique Fee: $10 (optional, if one is desired)
A critique of an entry is available for those who want one. It will be emailed to the entrant after contest winners are announced.
DEADLINE: Electronic entries must be received no later than Thursday, March 31, 2016. Mailed entries must be postmarked on or before Thursday, March 31, 2016. Winners will be announced by August 1, 2016.
- Multiple entries are acceptable; however, each entry must be accompanied by an entry form and payment: via PayPal (see link at end of page) or check or money order made out to Professional Writers of Prescott or PWP and sent to PWP, P.O. Box 10004, Prescott, AZ 86304.
- Entries must be original writing that have never been published. This includes social media.
- No erotica will be accepted. Judges reserve the right to deem inappropriateness, if necessary.
- Must be 18 or older to enter.
- Past winning contestants are eligible, but the past winning entries cannot be resubmitted.
- When multiple entries are submitted in any one category by the same author, and that author places in the top three for more than one entry, only the top finishing entry will receive a monetary award.
To Submit Electronically:
- We encourage contestants to send entries electronically to Susan Lanning at email@example.com. Put “PWP Contest 2016” in the subject line, followed by the category you are entering (Fiction, Non-fiction or Poetry).
- Submit entry and entry form as attachments only in Rich Text Format (RTF). Do not embed your submission within the email body.
- Save file as: (your) lastname_2016pwpcontest(category –Fiction, Non-fiction or Poetry).
- If multiple entries are electronically sent, send a separate email for each entry.
To Submit via US Mail:
- If submitting via U.S. Mail, you must include 3 copies of your entry along with the form. Do not send them certified mail. They won’t be picked up. Mail entries to: PWP, P.O. Box 10004, Prescott, AZ 86304
- Copies will not be returned. Only critiques that are requested and paid for.
If you have questions, please contact Susan Lanning at firstname.lastname@example.org
MECHANICS: Your work will be judged by our reader judges based on the following criteria:
- FICTION and NONFICTION entries are not to exceed 3,000 words.
- Word count must appear on the first page of the manuscript.
- POETRY entries are limited to five pages total per entry. Each entry will be judged as a whole. (Therefore, if five poems are submitted as one entry, those poems will be judged and averaged for that entry. The five poems will not be judged as five entries, unless submitted as separate entries with appropriate entry form and fees.)
- Entries must be in Rich Text Format (RTF) only if submitted electronically.
- Entries must be double-spaced, with one-inch margins using standard 12 point Times New Roman.
- The header on every page must contain only the title and the page number.
- Author’s name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript, but must be on the entry form.