2013 PWP Writing Contest Rules and Entry Form
2013 Professional Writers of Prescott Writing Contest
Fiction, Non-Fiction & Poetry Entry Rules
THIS YEAR WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE
- Electronic Submissions Will Be Accepted!
- Payment can be made via PayPal!
- Reduced Entry Fee for Members!
Prizes in each category will be awarded for First Place ($150), Second Place ($75) and Third Place ($50). Winners will be announced on or around October 31st. The names will be published in the PWP newsletter and on the PWP website, as well in general publicity and media. Winners will also be invited to read their entries at the November PWP meeting in Prescott, AZ. All contestants are encouraged to check the website and Facebook page (Professional Writers of Prescott) for status and updates. It may not be possible to contact each contestant individually; winners will be contacted.
FEE Members can enter with reduced fee!
Member Fee: $10
Non-Member Fee: $20
Additional entries: $10
Get your summer writing game on! Entries must be submitted or postmarked by August 30, 2013.
This year, we’re excited to offer the opportunity to submit your work electronically! We encourage you to give this a try, and feel free to contact us if you have questions or difficulty with your submission or payment and we’ll be happy to help.
To submit electronically
Send your entry(ies) as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entries that are submitted in the body of the email will not be counted. They must be sent as an attachment.
Put “PWP 2013” in the subject line. The entry form located at the end of this document must accompany each submission. You must scan the entry form or write the answers in the body of the email. You will be asked to confirm your PayPal receipt number if you are paying electronically, or to provide your check number if you have sent a check.
To submit via US mail:
Send ONE copy of your submission with the entry form and your payment to
PWP Writing Contest, ATTN: Versatility Writing Services
1490 West Gurley Street
Prescott AZ 86303
If you drop off your entry, please put it in the drop box provided at that location.
If you have questions, please contact Carrie Malinowski or Tara Fort at email@example.com.
- Entry must be original writing that has never been published.
- No erotica will be accepted. Judges reserve the right to deem inappropriateness, if necessary.
- Must be 18 or older to enter.
- Past winning contestants are eligible, but the past winning entry cannot be resubmitted.
- When multiple entries are submitted in any one category by the same author, and that author places in the top three for more than one entry, only the top finishing entry will receive a monetary award.
Your work will be judged by our reader judges based on the following criteria:
- Fiction and non-fiction entries are not to exceed 3,000 words.
- Word count must appear on the first page of the manuscript.
- Poetry entries are limited to five pages total per entry. Each entry will be judged as a whole. (Therefore, if five poems are submitted as one entry, those poems will be judged and averaged for that entry. The five poems will not be judged as five entries, unless submitted as separate entries with appropriate entry fees.)
- Entries must be double-spaced, with one-inch margins using standard 12 point typefaces. Do not use cursive or fancy type.
- The header on every page must contain only the title and the page number.
- Author’s name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript, but must be on the entry form.
- Fill out an entry form for each submission. Submit the entry form electronically, or in the body of the email. If submitting by mail, attach a copy to each submission.
- Copies will not be returned, and critiques will not be provided. We strongly encourage you to explore some of the critique groups offered by your writing group or through PWP, and to have someone read and review your work before you submit in final form.