2014 PWP Contest
2014 Professional Writers of Prescott Writing Contest
Fiction, Non-fiction & Poetry Entry Rules
As we did last year
- Electronic Submissions Will Be Accepted!
- Payment can be made via PayPal!
- Same Low Entry Fee for Members!
Prizes in each category will be awarded for First Place ($150), Second Place ($75) and Third Place ($50). Winners will be announced on or around September 30th. The names will be published in the PWP newsletter and on the PWP website, as well in general publicity and media. Winners will also be invited to read their entries at the November PWP meeting in Prescott, AZ. All contestants are encouraged to check the website and Facebook page (Professional Writers of Prescott) for status and updates. It may not be possible to contact each contestant individually; winners will be contacted.
- Member Fee: $10
- Non-Member Fee: $20
- Additional entries: $10 each
PWP is pleased to announce the Writing Contest for Fiction, Non-fiction and Poetry has been extended to June 30, 2014.
We encourage you to submit electronically; feel free to Contact Us if you have questions or difficulty with your submission or payment and we’ll be happy to help.
To submit electronically
1. Download Entry Form.
2. Send your entry(ies) as an attachment (as a Word file) to Tara Fort at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Please put “PWP 2014” in the subject line. One completed entry form MUST accompany each submission. You must scan the entry form or write the answers in the body of the email. You will be asked to confirm your PayPal receipt number if you are paying electronically, or to provide your check number if you have sent a check.
To submit via US mail:
1. Send ONE COPY of your submission with the entry form and your payment to PWP Writing Contest, ATTN: Versatility Writing Services, 1490 West Gurley Street, Prescott, AZ 86303.
2. DO NOT SEND CERTIFIED MAIL.
3. If you drop off your entry, please put it into the dropbox provided at Versatility Writing Services, 1490 West Gurley Street.
If you have questions, please contact Tara Fort at email@example.com.
- Entry must be original writing that has never been published.
- No erotica will be accepted. Judges reserve the right to deem inappropriateness, if necessary.
- Must be 18 or older to enter.
- Past winning contestants are eligible, but the past winning entry cannot be resubmitted.
- When multiple entries are submitted in any one category by the same author, and that author places in the top three for more than one entry, only the top finishing entry will receive a monetary award.
Your work will be judged on the following criteria:
- Fiction and non-fiction entries are not to exceed 3,000 words.
- Word count must appear on the first page of the manuscript.
- Poetry entries are limited to five pages total per entry. Each entry will be judged as a whole. (Therefore, if five poems are submitted as one entry, those poems will be judged and the scores averaged for that entry. The five poems will not be judged as five separate entries unless submitted as separate entries with appropriate entry fees.)
- Entries must be double-spaced, with one-inch margins using standard 12 point typefaces. Do not use cursive or fancy type.
- The header on every page must contain only the title and the page number.
- Author’s name should not appear anywhere on the manuscript, but must be on the entry form.
- Fill out an entry form for each submission. Submit the entry form electronically, or in the body of the email. If submitting by mail, attach a copy to each submission.
- Copies will not be returned, and critiques will not be provided. We strongly encourage you to explore some of the critique groups offered by your writing group or through PWP and to have someone read and review your work before you submit in final form.